Due to COVID-19 containment measures we are currently unable to send out any new packs, receive further deliveries or log-in any returned samples. To limit the impact to the scheme, please read the following information carefully.
- For those of you who have already received a sampling pack for 2020 (sample status ‘Pack Sent’), please continue sampling using instructions on the letter found in your pack, but do not return samples until we notify you to do so.
- For those who are waiting to receive a sample pack (sample status ‘Pack Requested’), or are yet to sign up, please continue with the following instructions:
- Sign up to request a new sample pack as usual on the NHMS website, if you haven’t done so already.
- Take note of your Sample ID (7-digits) generated upon signing up.
- When ready to sample, using your own clean jar, collect most recently capped honey direct from the comb. Please collect enough to fill 2 sample tubes (approximately 100ml).
- Clearly label the jar with your Sample ID and sample collection date. This is the date honey was taken from your selected hive.
- Seal the jar and do not open or mix with other honey, to prevent contamination of the sample.
- Once we are able resume normal working to produce sample packs, these will be dispatched to you and you will be notified by email of your status change to ‘Pack Sent’.
- Upon receiving the pack, carefully transfer the honey from your jar (3) into the provided sample tubes. Also write the county & date of sample collection on the blank tube labels.
- Send the tubes back to us when we notify you to do so, using the freepost jiffy envelope provided.
- For those who wish to send in both early and late season samples:
Please note you’re unable to request a second sample pack until the first sample is returned and logged in by us. Given we’re currently unable to log-in/receive samples, if you reach the time of collecting your second sample before we’ve been able to log-in your first, then please continue with the following instructions:
- When ready to sample late season, using your own clean jar, collect most recently capped honey direct from the comb. Please collect enough to fill 2 sample tubes (approximately 100ml).
- Clearly label this jar with the sample collection date (the date honey was taken from your selected hive).
- Wait for us to log-in your first early season sample – your sample status will change to ‘Sample Received’.
- At that point, sign up on the website to request a second sample pack for your late season sample.
- Upon receiving the pack, carefully transfer the honey from your jar (1) into the provided sample tubes.
- Record the county & date of sample collection on the blank tube labels, then return to us when possible.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND US YOUR OWN JARS OF COLLECTED HONEY - WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT NHMS SAMPLE TUBES.
This letter is also available to download (see attachment below).